Thursday 7 June 2012

Career Pathway: Explored 2

Product design/Merchandising

When I was a young girl in Africa, I was always making my own toys like dolls out of reeds, dodge balls out of old tyre tubs, charcoal stoves and pots out of old canned tins. "Making"things has always been a hobby of mine and hopefully in the near future, I would like to start creating my own range products. Starting with little things like wishing cards, love notes, inspirational messages and then eventually move to accessorising stationery, tops and bedding etc...

There also undergraduate degrees in Product Design and Merchandising. See the attachment below of visit The University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa


Getting started as a product designer can be a bit overwhelming at first. It is always a great comfort to look at other success stories around which makes the dream of becoming a product designer more attainable. Below is a story of a young designer called Zoe Murphy who started small but is now a successful designer and enjoying the fruits thereof.


Key Job Roles for Product Design/ Merchandising is Designer or Product Designer

 


Creative Design

This may seem very broad but since I discovered Microsoft Power Point in college I have been hooked. I started doing presentations, flyers and news letters. Now with the creative design package from adobe, I enjoy creating logos, editing photos, designing literature (this includes business cards, flyers, leaflet, brochures, poster, banners, news letters and magazines), designing websites from templates and designing packaging.

Key Job Role for Creative design is Graphic Design


Event Management


My interest in organising and managing events begun developing while I was working as a marketing assistant for Hach Lange. I was responsible for organising meetings, workshops and exhibitions. The mere fact that I could be interested in managing and organising an event was something I saw other people do effortlessly but did not think I had the skills to carry out. This job was the platform on which I gained experience on organising events, coordinating and liaising with different parties, budgeting and planning, prioritising tasks from start to finish. Since then, I have managed meetings, parties, workshops, conferences and a wedding.

Event management is very demanding especially as a free lancer. You work from the beginning of the event to the end before you can take a break.

Being able to use creative design software has enhanced my portfolio as an event manager. I can now design the promotional materials for the events I plan.

Key Job Roles for Event Management are Event Coordinator, Marketing and Events officer and Event Manager





 

Web Design

According to an article on Roseindia.net titled "what is web designing?", web designing is defined as an art of content presentation to an end user through World Wide Web. The article goes on to say that efficient web design helps a company in bringing enquiries that generate sales and add asset to business. 

My interest in web design is to create a good visual presentation from templates and layouts that are widely available on the World Wide Web. I have not understanding or interest in the scientific programming side of web design.

I have only ever designed a website for myself and my experience is limited to that, however, I feel like I have just scratched the surface and look forward to developing this skill.




Entrepreneur

I am very passionate about succeeding in my life and feel that business is a skill that is learned just like any other. I intend on developing this skill and owning and a range of companies in the future.

At the moment, Dani Johnson is one of my most inspiring business Entrepreneurs.




No comments:

Post a Comment